Thursday, November 5, 2009

Why does a computer that does not exist show up in my list of workgroup computers on my home network

Hey guys, I just set up an in-home network connection to connect my 4 computers through my Linksys router. I had one computer that gave me problems, and I had that computer named as "ALEX". I was unable to access shared files on ALEX because I got a message saying the network path could not be found. So, I tried uninstalling the McAfee virus scan and firewall services on the computer, and I also changed the name to "MEDIA" (since it is my media computer).



After I uninstalled McAfee and changed the name, the computer showed up in my network connections and I was able to access it just fine. But the computer "ALEX" is still showing up in the list of workgroup computers, even though it does not exist anymore since I changed the name of the computer. When I click on ALEX I get the same message I always did before, "network pathway not found".



Is there any way to stop this computer from showing up in the list? I don't like a computer that doesn't exist showing up on the network.



Why does a computer that does not exist show up in my list of workgroup computers on my home network?adware remover



The name is stuck in your cache. There are two command-line scripts you can run to try to solve the problem. The first is "ipconfig /flushdns", to clear the dns cache. The second is "nbtstat -R" (make sure the R is in caps). This purges and reloads the remote cache name table. Run both of these, ALEX should disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment