Thursday, October 22, 2009

Connecting 5 computers through 2 routers?

I have 5 computers connected through 2 routers. The first router is also a modem and it is giving out 10.1.10.* ip addresses using DHCP. The first modem/router also has 3 computers connected to it. The 4th port is being used to connect to the second router that is giving out 192.168.2.* ip addressing. Sitting behind both routers (192.*.*.* range), I can PING and access both routers. Also behind both routers I can PING all the computers. If I am on the 10.*.*.* range I cannot ping the 192.*.*.* range. I also put each computer under the same workgroup. Both workgroups on each router can't see each other. I can get on the internet on all 5 computers. All I really want to do is set up shares on each computer and be able to access each. If anybody can help me PLEASE HELP ME!!!



Connecting 5 computers through 2 routers?microsoft



you don't need two routers, you need a switch and a router. the way you have this set up, you have set up two separate, private networks, and i don't think that's what you need, from what you have said.



if you got yourself a multiport switch, and plugged your computers into it, you would have a single segment, and everything on your network would have 10.1 address, and you would be able to ping, and connect.



i have done this on many occasions when i needed to set up workrooms at conferences. it works very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment