Monday, October 19, 2009

One of the computers on my network cannot detect the other computers in the network.?

I set up a 4 computer network with a linksys 8-port router. When I click on the network icon on the desktop, one of my computers does not detect the other 3 computers, or it would detect one, but would not detect itself. How can I fix that? I need to set up one of the computers as a server.



One of the computers on my network cannot detect the other computers in the network.?ariel



Are they on the same workgroup? Go to My computer, then View System Information on the top left (red check mark) Go to the Computer Name Tab. Check the workgroup name should be same workgroup. You can add or change to a workgroup here. If they are the same make sure the interfaces are on the same IP class address. You can go to status and suport tab to see the interface addresses. The first three fields should be the same class such as 192.168.1.X Do you have the DHCP enabled on the Router? If each computer has a name you can try pinging each name from the Windows Start Run field. Type ping and the name you specified for each computer. Each computer name can be different but they should be on the same name workgroup.



One of the computers on my network cannot detect the other computers in the network.?computers



Make sure everything is shared on the system. Not just the File and Print sharing in the Network Properties, but the right click sharing of the disk and files in My Computer. You may need to reboot for the system to accept the changes. Windows sometimes requires re-establishing the connection. The best thing to do is change the Workgroup to something else, reboot and change it back. Reboot again before trying to connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment