Monday, October 19, 2009

Connecting 2 computers to the internet using 1 modem?

Hi Everyone,



I joined Optus and got their free standard modem some time ago. Now I have bought a new computer and it is windows vista. My old computer was given to my sister. The problem is that me and my sister wants to have internet access all the time. I tried researching on how to connect two computers to 1 modem and what i found out was that i needed to buy a router. But then someone told me that my modem has a built in router. How do I configure the router? I mean when i tried connecting one computer via USB and other via ethernet, I rarely get internet to both the computers. My modem is a Siemens SpeedStream 4200 ADSL Modem. So hopefully someone can help me.



Thank you,



Secret.



Connecting 2 computers to the internet using 1 modem?



The 4200 is a modem so you need to get a router to share the internet. You can either use the USB or ethernet but not both.



Here's some help setting it up:



http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-rep...



Connecting 2 computers to the internet using 1 modem?antivirus downloads



You don't need two modems, you need 1 Modem %26 1 Router that can clone a MAC address (which most do as far as i'm aware). Virgin will only recognise the MAC address of the Network Interface Controller it was connected to when installed, so you need to set your router to clone that MAC address and connect the modem to the router. You can then connect the 2 computers to the router and both will be able to connect to the internet. So you need a router with two ethernet ports
I would just go buy a router - only like 50$ and will be a lot less of a headache :)

No comments:

Post a Comment