Thursday, October 22, 2009

Old computers for server/super computer...?

I have a laptop and several old desktop computers, and I want to combine the processing power of all the computers into my laptop. I don't know if what I want is even possible, although I would imagine it is. What I want to do is have an OS on my laptop that allows me to use all the software I have, or atleast most of it, if that is not possible then I need to find good replacements for that softwatre to use on the new OS. I want my laptop to them seamlessly split the work load between the other computers, so that I can accomplish tasks much faster, such as rendering video and such. Basically, I don't want 4-5 networked computers, that I can only individually control. I want 4-5 networked computers working together as one, sharing hardware seamlessly without the need for me to write my own programs to accomplish tasks such as video editing.



Please don't just answer by simply telling me "linux", because that does me no good. I need to know which version of Linux...details please.



Old computers for server/super computer...?downloads



If they already are networked, you can control each one from one computer using Symantec pcAnywhere. It's complete remote control. As for using the collective power of the processors, you'd need to daisy chain the mother boards in some sort of Beowulf system, but then you still want to use the software on the other computers, so that won't help.

No comments:

Post a Comment