Thursday, October 1, 2009

One printer, two computers?

I have read many of he previous answers and it seems that I need to network my computers to be able to print from the one printer?



I have XP on one computer and Vista on the other.



First question: How do I network the computers and can I do this with XP and Vista.



Second question: once I have networked ... then do I just do the Add Printer etc etc ... ?



Step by step advice would be very much appreciated.



Also - if you know about DVDs perhaps you could also answer this ... on my new computer I can burn DVDs - how do I know if my system takes a +R or a -R [or does it not really matter]?



One printer, two computers?antivirus



There are two ways to do this:



Firstly, you will need a router or switch to network your computers. I suggest a linksys router if you have high speed internet.



The documentation on the router will tell you step by step on how to set everything up physically.



There are two ways to share a printer out. One way is (if the printer has networking features) is to plug that into the router port as well and access it via it's IP address.



Another way to share a printer is to connect it directly to computer A and share it out using the printer properties and then adding the printer on computer B using computer A's hostname.



It all depends on what you have.. if you can specify how you are connected to internet and if you have a router or something, I might be able to further assist you.



Edit:



Too much to type out - if you have yahoo message me and I will walk you through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment