Thursday, October 1, 2009

Teaching computers?

I want to help my friend learn computers better. He knows how to turn it on and can type 25 wpm. He can reply to an email in his inbox and log into email but aside from that doesn't know how to use email (doesnt know address book or compose or other features). I think he is aware of word and can use it with assistance but doesn't know where to go to find his word files or any other files for that matter. Doesnt know the difference between My Docs and My Computer or much about saving. Do you have any advice how to start teaching him to use the computer more from there? What software do you guys find most useful in your personal lives? I plan to teach him Word, Excel and the Internet. Do you think there is other stuff I should be trying to teach him, I don't want to teach him too much too soon. And how can I build on what he knows and make sure he reviews it? He says he wants some pop quizzes.



Teaching computers?agv



I do this all the time in my consulting/PC Repair business. When I first started I caught myself talking above the customer. The key here is do not use geek speak, talk in a language the client will understand. One example I use is explaining disk defragment. Look at it as if you just did your laundry and threw all the socks in a drawer. To defragment, you would sort, pair up and fold all the socks, or rearrange and sort all the files on your system.

No comments:

Post a Comment