Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Computer Help! I have 2 computers both hooked to the Internet with the same modem. I was told by my

salesman that I would be able to network the 2 computers together with everything I already have, just by using the modem and ethernet cables. Can any one explaine how to do this? If you need more information, I'll try to add it if requested. Thanks!



Computer Help! I have 2 computers both hooked to the Internet with the same modem. I was told by my at%26t?virus



I think you may have gotten a sales pitch.



If your modem also has a router then you should be good to go. The rule of thumb is you get one ip address to a connection (home type setup). In order to connect two computers simultaneously to one ip address you have to have a router (this allows two computers to in effect share single ip address).



Generally a modem will have one ethernet port, and possibly a USB port. A router will have four or more ethernet ports.



Good Luck



Computer Help! I have 2 computers both hooked to the Internet with the same modem. I was told by my at%26t?anti virus



If you dont have more than one port on the modem you will need to get a router. Each device will need it's own IP address and to do this they need to have their own dedicated connection-via a hub



good luck
if your modem has more then 1 port yes you can,run a ethernet cable to both or you should have a usb port also on the modem,i run 3 machines off my modem,one wireless,one ethernet and 1 usb,all work great
You could install a 2nd Network Interface Card (NIC) in one of the two computers. Then enable Internet Connection Sharing on the computer with 2 NICs. Then connect that machine to the DSL network bridge (modem). Then run a crossover Ethernet cable from that machine to the 2nd machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment