Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Networking 2 computers to a server or pc with Windows XP?

Basically I have 3 Computers with Windows XP, I want to use one as a server and be able to send or retrieve files from the main computer.



I know how to set them up to share internet, but I don't get how to set them up to share files.



My current setup is this - Internet(DSL), to Modem, To Router, to the 3 computers. The internet is working fine on all of them, I just don't get how to share files between them.



Thanks in Advance, and please forgive my ignorance.



-DC



Networking 2 computers to a server or pc with Windows XP?norton



Right click each my computer and set the computer identification to a simple computer name each, and all of them to the same simple workgroup name. On the server machine set up a new folder, preferably on the c: drive direct for network use. Right click it and set it shared. Create users matching the users of your other machines, with the same passwords, then set the security to this folder to allow these users full access. Then set the exception for file and printer sharing in the firewall. You can then browse to the server and it's folder/s in your network places.



Networking 2 computers to a server or pc with Windows XP?spyware remover



right click my computer and select properties, select the computer name tab, there will be a computer description, a computer name and a workgroup, the workgroup is what you need to change, by default it will either be workgroup or mshome. All the machines will need to be on the same workgroup to be able to see each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment