Sunday, September 20, 2009

How is an ISP able to give out differnet IP addresses to computers in the same area?

I've only heard that all computers that are in the same area are all given the same IP address. When one computer's IP address changed, they've all changed. When one computer is banned from a server, then any computer within that one computer's location are all banned from the same server too. Getting on a different computer to try to evade the ban is considered ban evasion. However some people say that certain areas like schools and libraries for example, their ISP provides different IP addresses to all the other computers there. Some people are able to do this at home like I saw in the 2nd answer to the last question I answered. Is there some kind of special Internet Provider that can provide our computers a couple different IP addresses? I don't want just 1 computer limited to where they can go on and what they can do there because of 1 computer's stupidity. Please help me so I'll remember how to give all computers their own IP address in the future and so I can avoid all of this.



How is an ISP able to give out differnet IP addresses to computers in the same area?ktm



Here is part of your answer. I don't remember the finite details of who has the over all control of IP's. But I know that companies, schools, etc can buy them in blocks and that is how your ISP has them to give out....



Each modem connection from the ISP is given an IP. You can pay for an additional IP address or get another account and modem. Inside of the home network the IP's are usually handed out via the router (which is the 192.168.xxx.xxx range) Those IP's are not public.

No comments:

Post a Comment