Sunday, September 20, 2009

How many users and computers is average for an IT Analyst?

I know this question is more complicated than it appears. Let me brake it down a little more. I am an IT Analyst (Systems Administrator) for my company. I am relatively new to this position\job field. I started in August after 5 years of communications experience in the AF.



I am soley responsible for X sites with the following number of users:



Headquarters: 40 users, 40 computers, 4 W2003 servers, 1 Linux Redhat firewall, 1 Linux Redhat virus wall.



Site A, 20 miles from HQ: 40 Users, 40 Computers, 2 W2003 servers



Site B %26 C, 350 miles from HQ: 12 users, 12 computers



In addition to those site, I am also the backup\assistant system administrator for our other subsiderary companies, each having about as many users and sites as mine.



I feel swamped; Average 50 to 60 hours a week.



Is this number of users\computers\sites common for an systems administrator? or does the workload seem like a lot because I am still wet behind the ears?



How many users and computers is average for an IT Analyst?free spyware remover



Yes, thats common. I currently service over 120 users and 40 servers solo, though all users are in the same "group" and are at a single site, including an external data centre. In my previous job I serviced over 90 users across 4 different companies not in our group.



I've found most companies expect the moon on a stick from their IT staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment