Thursday, October 8, 2009

2 computers and 1 printer...how do I get it so we can print from both?

We have 2 computers and 1 printer. I have the printer installed on both of the computers. Every time we want to print from either of the computers I have to unplug the usb and put it into whichever computer I want to print from. Is there a way to set it up so I don't have to do this? TIA!



2 computers and 1 printer...how do I get it so we can print from both?hijack this



There are a few ways, both of which will run a few bucks.



1. Get a USB switching device that shares 2 pcs to 1 printer. I have not found on yet that is auto sensing so you will have to press a button on most to get it to switch between PCs. I have not found any that have done a great job, but I haven't shopped for one in over 6 months.



2. Get a router or switch between the two PCs and run the XP network setup wizard. Once this is done you can share out the printer on one of the two PCs and then map to it on the other PC. This takes a bit of skill, but nothing that cannot be done. the drawback is that you need to have both PCs on to print from the one not physically connected to the printer.



3. Get a router. Connect both PCs to the router and purchase something along the lines for this



http://www.compusa.com/products/product_...



I have one in my home network and it works like a charm. You simply need to run the setup program once for the printer and then a configuration program on each PC. This is easiest way but most likely the most pricy.

No comments:

Post a Comment