Thursday, October 8, 2009

Can I connect two computers to one ADSL broadband service with one modem for each?

I'm in the UK and my broadband provider is wanadoo. I currently have a 512k broadband connection on my main computer using the broadband modem that was supplied by wanadoo.



I recently bought another computer and I have a spare broadband modem left over from an old ISP I used to be with. Can I use this spare modem to set up my new computer in another room on my current wanadoo broadband? There is a phone socket in the other room so I don't see why there should be a problem.



The main difficulty I've had trying to do it is I don't know how to configure the spare modem to work on my current broadband service. It came with a different ISP and the installation programme on the cd for it sets up a connection for the old ISP. I don't want this, I want both my computers to share my current ISP subscription. Can anyone lead me through the steps to configuring my spare modem on my new computer for my current ISP?



Can I connect two computers to one ADSL broadband service with one modem for each?norton 2008



In regards to two ADSL modems on a single line, the answer is no. Due to the way ADSL works using the spare space in your phoneline a second ADSL modem would interfere(pretty much the same as when not using filters on your phone lines), which would mean that you would get cut off whenever either modem tried to send information.



Your only real option is to get a router, of which there are various wireless options. Main brands i'd recommend would be Linksys or Netgear. A side note for wireless networking is that it will require a wireless adapter on each computer you wish to use, although some wireless routers come with one included.

No comments:

Post a Comment