Sunday, October 4, 2009

Router connects to computers but won't connect to the internet...?

I recently purchased a second computer for home use, I set it up with a 30 meter long ethernet wire, then I installed the router (Asus WL-520GC) connecting it to my modem (Siemens SpeedStream 4200) and computer, the router/windows detect both computers but didn't give me an internet connection on eather one, I've tried disabling firewalls and a whole bunch of stuff then I stumbled upon someone having the same problem and they recommended to disable the DHCP server setting and change its ip to the same range but different ip to the modems and outside the dhcp range. I did that but wasn't sure where to change the ip so I did it under Lan Setting from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 and instead of plugging in the modem to the WAN port, insert it into one of the LAN's and use it as an access point. It worked for the main computer but when I used the router setup software with the second one windows said there was an IP conflict, I heard about bridging but it sounds really complicated.Ideas?



Router connects to computers but won't connect to the internet...?norton antivirus



well maybe u just activate dhcp connection for both modem and router ? as long as i know u cannot use both of it, just use one of them, if u activate dhcp on router, u should disable dhcp on modem( set the ip manually) otherwise viceversa



just try it, i hope this info can help u



Router connects to computers but won't connect to the internet...?security



sadly this sounds like a major issue, it would require a network engineer to investigate this one. but the reason for the DCHP connection is as we pick up the internet connection we are alotted a ip address from a pool of addresses. it is only if you have a single or number of addreeses allocated to you that you switch to static addressing. if you would like an addreess you can apply to nominet for one but as ipv4 is over subsribed its unlikely that you will get one. type nominet into google to check.

No comments:

Post a Comment