Sunday, October 4, 2009

Same XP workgroup, but can't access other computers...?

Sometimes I can see both computers in my XP wireless network. When I can see them, they can't access each other although I have sharing files set, and I have used the wireless network setup wizard. Oddly, though, I can access the internet and access my e-mail from the wirelessly connected computer and the computer that is directly wired to the Linksys router. No help from Linksys. They say it's not a Linksys issue since I can access the net from both and I can ping each computers I.P.



Obviously, I cannot ping the other computers (there are only two in my home network).



Please help!



I have been screwing atround with this for three weeks now, and I think the next step is to find a tall tree for me to string up my PCs.



Please note:



Each computer has a simple and distinct name, e.g., "PC" and "Laptop".



The PC is IDd as the HOST in the description. The workgroup is also named a simple name.



I have Windows Firewall and Computer Associates' firewall turned on in each computer.



Same XP workgroup, but can't access other computers...?hp



For a start use names other than pc and laptop. XP may identify these names from somewhere else. Use something like homepc and portable, which have absolutely no meaning as such. Make sure both firewalls have the exception for file and printer sharing turned on. I find Computer Associates firewall is far too heavy handed, rely on the Windows one. I don't understand where the IDd as HOST comes from? Both machines are to be used as servers and hosts in this setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment